turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file for deceased parent? (TurboTax is defaulting to trying to file for myself, with no option I can see to change that)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

How to file for deceased parent? (TurboTax is defaulting to trying to file for myself, with no option I can see to change that)

In TurboTax Online, you can prepare and e-file one federal and up to five associated state returns under the same account login (your account is your username, not your e-mail address). And you can file up to five federal returns under the same email.

You should create a new account with its own unique User ID and password.

You enter the decedent's personal information into the program as you normally would.  Answer Yes when asked I am preparing this return for <decedent's name>, who has passed away.  Enter date passed away.  See image below. 

When you are finished with the return, you will use the decedent's ID when asked to verify identity when you efile.

You'll file a normal federal and state tax return for the deceased person based on their income and deductions until the date of their death (also called a decedent return).

Any income earned after this date is reported on a trust return Form 1041, US Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts. You’ll need an Employer Identification Number from the IRS, which you can get here.

You may also need Form 56, which is used when either setting up or terminating a fiduciary relationship. It authorizes you to act as if you’re the taxpayer, allowing you to file income tax returns and pay taxes due with the returns. 

This form isn't prepared with the decedent’s income tax return. It’ll need to be completed and mailed to the IRS office where the decedent’s tax return is filed.

Lastly, if the tax return for the decedent has a refund, you’ll need to complete Form 1310 - Statement of Person Claiming a Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer. It can be completed in TurboTax.

TurboTax FAQ: What forms will I need when filing a tax return for someone who's deceased?

I'm very sorry for your loss.

A screenshot of a computer

Description automatically generated

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies