raceannouncer

How to file disability--I had a part-time seasonal job in 2017 (I only made $1000) and received a 1099--do I need to file?

Hal_Al

You have to file a tax return if you have a 1099-misc, for over $400; because social security and medicare tax are due, even if you owe no income tax.

Social security only becomes taxable when added to sufficient other income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

Hal_Al

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

raceannouncer

I'm having difficulty in understanding the answer I received--it's probably just me!
Hal_Al

Yes, you have to file a tax return, because you have a 1099-Misc with more than $400 in box 7. You do not have to report Social Security disability income (SSDI) because the rest of your income is low enough. But, since you have to file anyway, go ahead and enter your SSA-1099 and let TurboTax generate the worksheet that shows that none of your SSDI is taxable.

If you have some other kind of disability income, other than SSDI, you need to identify what kind and what paperwork you got (W-2, 1099-R, etc) and your age.
raceannouncer

I think I understand more, now--Thanks!