Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Harvest22

How to file caregiver withholdings

My brother and I have been taking care of our aging parents for the past 3+ years, and as of this week, both are now deceased. During that time, we paid a caregiver to help us and withheld taxes, but we have not filed or paid those taxes (2021-2023). I know exactly what we paid and withheld each tax year, but how do I file and pay those taxes now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

How to file caregiver withholdings

You would need to file Schedule H, which is done with your tax return to report and pay household employee taxes.  You will also need to obtain an EIN. 

To file and pay employment taxes using TurboTax when you file  your return, you will select the following:

1. Federal
  2. Other Tax Situations
  3. Nanny and Household employee Tax
  4. Walk through and answer the questions as appropriate.

You will need to Amend Your Returns for any years already filed and take the above steps to add the Schedule H and pay the taxes.  

Be aware, you may be subject to fines and penalties as you would have an underpayment penalty as well as a failure to pay the taxes you withheld penalty. Having withheld taxes from your employees but not paid them can create legal issues for you so it is best to get this fixed as soon as possible.  

What is Schedule H

Employment Tax Enforcement

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies