Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IrishIN
Returning Member

How to enter taxes paid on amended Virigina return

Hello, I'm needing to file an amended return for the state/commonwealth of Virginia.  Originally filed on time, and got a refund.  Just learned that there was a mistake on the taxes my employer withheld, which will actually entitle me to a larger refund (a refund of all taxes paid to the state).  In TurboTax it asks for Amount Paid on Original Return and the Refund shown on original return, but it only automatically enters the amount of the refund that I already received, with nothing in the Amount Paid on Original Return field.  My question is do I put the total amount of Virginia taxes withheld from my paycheck (and reported on my original return) in the Amount Paid field?  Or is that only if I had a tax bill due with my original filing?  If I leave it blank, the amended return ends up saying that I owe my original refund back which I know is incorrect.  Example amounts for clarity.  Let's say I had $100 in taxes withdrawn from my paycheck, and after filing my original return I receive a $20 refund.  If I leave that Amount Paid blank, TurboTax says I need to pay that $20 refund back, when in reality what I've learned is that I'm entitled to the remaining $80 to be refunded to me.  Any instructions on how to accomplish?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to enter taxes paid on amended Virigina return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies