turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pcvb

How to enter excercise and HOLD of nonqualified stock options? If I use the ISO interview that results in a AMT impact. The income is reported in the W2.

I did a sell to cover transaction of a NSO= NQSO.   reported the amount sold to cover as a exercise and same day sale, no problem there.   but how to account for the remainder of stock that I now hold?   I could manually enter values in the "stock options worksheet" but that's awkward.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How to enter excercise and HOLD of nonqualified stock options? If I use the ISO interview that results in a AMT impact. The income is reported in the W2.

There's no need to report the shares that you exercised and did not sell.  All the necessary reporting has been done by entering the W-2, (compensation created by exercise, taxes withheld because of compensation), and your entry of the sale of the stock "for taxes", (typically creating a small loss).

When you buy a stock through your broker you don't report that purchase in your income tax return until you sell the stock.  The stock you bought through your employer, (exercise price paid plus your time and effort recorded as compensation), is no different then that broker-purchased stock.

Tom Young

xsw

Assume this same question, but now I just sold my shares I held for more than 1 year. Where do you do the interview in TT2020? It only give me the choices of same day sale.

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

See Where do I enter a 1099-B? and watch 

How do I enter Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) sales in TurboTax?(1:09).

@xsw

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies