mimart65

How to correct a software glitch?

The Turbo Tax software is not updating the changes I make to my return. The running total tax due does not change. The changes I'm making to my return would affect that total. I'm experimenting with my tax liability when I contribute to an HSA, or not.

The software worked fine at first, but now it seems to be frozen. Not only does it not update the tax due amount, it does not save the changes I've made to my entries in the HSA section and continues to display the previous entries. Any suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks.
BMcCalpin

How to correct a software glitch?

There are situations in which re-entering the HSA interview may not erase previous entries that you made, and, indeed, you never see the same screen again to change the entry. The amount of excess contributions is one such example: you don't see the screen again where you indicated the amount you would withdraw before the due date of the return, but TurboTax doesn't forget that amount, even after you change entries so there is no longer an excess.

At this point, we don't know what state your HSA interview is. I suggest that you remove all your HSA data and start over. No, you don't do it through the forms, but by the following method (which avoids the problem of the same screens not appearing again):

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview.

1970mach

How to correct a software glitch?

it will not let me update 2021 year