Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to claim husband who is in Memory Care

Hi, My husband has dementia and was admitted into a Memory Care facility on June 6.  I have been advised that I still include him as a member of my household when I file my  income taxes. Is there a special form to fill out?  Most of his income goes to the memory care facility to pay for his care.  I receive a small part of his social security to help pay for my bills.  So how do I count his income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

So sorry.   

Is your spouse's care being covered by Medicaid?   We need some details as to how the memory care facility is being paid, and what other income you have as a couple.

You can still file a joint return with your spouse.  You can never claim a spouse as a dependent.   Enter all of your combined income on the 2023 tax return when you prepare it.   If he gets Social Security they will send him a SSA1099 in January that you enter on the tax return.   

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

If you are itemizing deductions (like mortgage interest, property tax, etc.)    then enter the memory care that you pay out of pocket as a medical expense.   You do not enter any amount that is being paid by insurance or  Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MarianneK
Employee Tax Expert

Hello Asparagus1

Thank you for your question.   

Assuming you are still married, you would file a joint return, MFJ.   That would include all income from both of you.   I would also suggest you fill out the Schedule A for itemized deductions, the medical section.   Without knowing your whole tax situation, you may have enough medical expenses to itemize deductions and save on your taxes.   

You will still fill out the regular 1040 Federal Tax return.  There are no other specific forms to fill out.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies