Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to answer questionnaire about importing without creating duplicate forms or losing information from prior years

When I started the desktop Home and Business 2022 return, I imported last year's information from the online file. When I start the questionnaire for business income and expenses, it shows me a list of "the income you reported in last year's return" and under Interest & Dividends lists the a half dozen 1099-INTs and 1099-DIVs from my assorted investment accounts. I plan to import all the forms from the banks websites as I do each year, but I have found in previous years when I answer this question "yes" I end up with some blank duplicate forms for some of my accounts. I think it makes a blank form for me to enter the information from my paper form, but doesn't substitute in the imported form for that account from the bank website, so I have to eventually delete the form to submit the taxes. Should I answer this question "no" to avoid generating the blank forms, with the assumption that everything will be correctly imported when I pull the data from the bank websites? My concern is that I don't know if TT embeds any data from previous years' returns in these forms- ie, some carryover calculations that might be lost if I don't answer "yes" to this question and the program doesn't pull through the forms from the previous year.  So should I answer yes, or no?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How to answer questionnaire about importing without creating duplicate forms or losing information from prior years

the blank forms are already there from the transfer process when you start the return. why Turbotax messes up and in some cases creates a duplicate form for the current year's data is unknown to me. I have the same problem. I use desktop while you are probably using online so the issue exists across the various versions. hey MODS

capital loss and FTC c/o's are on different forms and there really isn't any carryforward info other than the payee info for 1099-DIV, INT and B 

Hi Mike-

Thanks for the reply. No, I use the desktop version (I'm not really a fan of the online version, in part because I can't look at the forms directly).  So it seems they should reword the questionnaire to ask if I am going to manually enter any forms from the accounts I reported on last year's return (prompting the program to generate blanks for me to fill in), or whether I plan to import the forms from the bank again (so that the program knows NOT to generate duplicate forms). So currently, if I plan to import forms directly from the banks I should answer "no" to the initial query about whether interest and dividends from last year still apply.  I just want to make sure that I don't accidentally lose important information from the prior year's return- it would be helpfully clarifying if they just add a parenthetical telling us it's ok to say no if we plan to import the forms directly from the bank rather than manually entering the forms.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies