Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

duplicate imports

Somehow I ended up with duplicate 1099-R's in my TT file. It resulted in twice the gross distribution on my form 1040. 

If I import a tax form, such as 1099-R from my brokerage account, and then in a later import I import the same exact form, is TT smart enough to replace the form that came in on the first import or does it simply import it again resulting in duplicate forms? I had always thought that it replaced a duplicate form, but it seems to have added it instead.  Otherwise I can't figure out how I ended up with duplicates. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

duplicate imports

TurboTax will not automatically delete duplicate imports.  The user is responsible to delete any duplicates when he/she reviews the return before filing.  Additionally, if the user imports info from a tax document, he/she will not manually input the same info that has already been imported.

I'm so sorry you've experienced this issue.  If you haven't efiled or mailed your return, you should be able to correct this duplication before filing.  Otherwise, you'll need to amend your return.   Do not amend your return until the initial return has been completely processed by the IRS and you've received any refund due (if applicable).  When you are ready to amend, please see the instructions I'm sharing below (see link).

How do I amend my federal tax return for this year? 

EDITED AFTER ORIGINAL ANSWER

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

duplicate imports

TurboTax will not automatically delete duplicate imports.  The user is responsible to delete any duplicates when he/she reviews the return before filing.  Additionally, if the user imports info from a tax document, he/she will not manually input the same info that has already been imported.

I'm so sorry you've experienced this issue.  If you haven't efiled or mailed your return, you should be able to correct this duplication before filing.  Otherwise, you'll need to amend your return.   Do not amend your return until the initial return has been completely processed by the IRS and you've received any refund due (if applicable).  When you are ready to amend, please see the instructions I'm sharing below (see link).

How do I amend my federal tax return for this year? 

EDITED AFTER ORIGINAL ANSWER

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies