Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

walgenbe

How to allow other parent to claim daycare credit?

My partner and I are unmarried, but live together and have one child. I have the higher income, but we split expenses, so I filed the form to allow him to take the child credit this year. We were also planning to have him take the daycare credit, but because my work does Flex spending arrangement, I also put that in. 

Is there a way to un-file form 2441? I already sent my taxes to be filed (not claiming the child credit). I also got no further deductions from the dependent care credit, but filled out the form. Now it says the child's SS was already used, so we can't claim dependent care credits. Can I amend? Even though this doesn't change my tax liability, it would make a big difference to my partner. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to allow other parent to claim daycare credit?

You misunderstood the rules and tried to put the child on two tax returns.  Only divorced or never married couples who live APART can say there is a signed agreement and "share" the child-related credits.  If you all live together as a family you can only enter the child ---and all of the child related credits--on ONE of your tax returns.  The other parent files as Single and does not enter anything at all about the child on their return.

You can amend and use ALL of the credits---your partner files as Single with no mention of the child on their return.   Then work out sharing privately between the two of you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies