Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tk01kj
Returning Member

How much taxes can I owe to not avoid underpayment penalty, and I will just pay it off later with credit card by tax deadline?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How much taxes can I owe to not avoid underpayment penalty, and I will just pay it off later with credit card by tax deadline?

1)   Simple answer:  If you owe less than $1000 for Federal is OK all of the time as long as all your payments during the year were from withholding, and no quarterly tax payments were involved...... state $ limit amounts vary.

2)  More complex:   In general....If you owe more than $1000 to Feds, and only had tax withholding, then it depends on whether your withholding was greater than last year, what your tax liability is for 2018 (before considering withholding),  and what your tax liability was last year.

3) More More complex:  a) If you had both withholding  (or no withholding) , but also made 4 exactly equal quarterly tax payments (on time) during the year, then the less than $1000 balance due at tax time applies. b) If you had both withholding  (or no withholding) , and made uneven quarterly tax payemnts...or didn't make all of the 4 quarterly tax payments, then it gets really messy, and you could owe an underpayment penalty even if you are due a refund
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

For most taxpayers, you will not owe a penalty if the amount you owe when you file your tax return is less than $1000; or the amount you paid into the system through withholding and estimated payments is greater than 90% of what you end up owing; or the amount you paid into the system is at least 100% of your tax liability from last year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies