How is state and local tax deduction calculated

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live in a high-tax state. Last year my SALT deduction was about $15K, which I assume was the amount that my spouse & I paid in "State income taxes" (W-2 line 17) plus property taxes paid -- correct?

I also know that the new tax rule caps SALT deduction at $10K.

So I am trying to figure out why even though this year we spent almost $13K in State Income Taxes + property taxes, why TurboTax is showing SALT tax total of about $8K and not an even $10K (the cap).

1 Reply
Level 3

There are a few things that contribute to the State and Local Taxes limitation of $10k: like you mentioned the state income taxes from your W-2, and your property taxes are included. Also included are any local taxes from your W-2, some state disability payments (like California SDI), any estimates you paid to your state or city, any payments you made in 2018 to your state for a 2017 balance due, and your personal property taxes like your DMV fees. 

For your question about only $8k showing, it depends where you might be looking in TurboTax as to what is being included. I would recommend reviewing the actual tax return before filing, and looking at Schedule A, line 5e to confirm that your deduction is being calculated as the full $10k. 

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings