Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How enter additional post-extension, pre-filing payment?

How do I enter an additional payment on my 1040 which was made after extension and before filing?

For our personal 1040 return, I filed a 4868 extension and made a payment for the amount then owing. Soon afterward, I revised my draft return and determined that I should make an additional payment to avoid additional interest being charged. I made the additional payment using IRS Direct Pay.

(In Direct Pay, for the "reason" for payment, it did not offer a choice to mark it as a payment with the extension. That had been suggested on another post here, though it wouldn't seem to be correct as this payment was made after the extension. I chose "balance due" on the 1040.)

I don't see how to enter this additional payment in my 1040. It would appear to go correctly on 1040, Schedule 3, Part II, line 13z ("Other payments ... . List type and amount:"). Yet TTH&B won't allow me to enter it onto the form. Clicking the form takes me to the same line on 1040/1040SR Wks, but it doesn't allow me to enter anything there, either, though it does show a blue box which, when I've seen it elsewhere, I have been able to enter data).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How enter additional post-extension, pre-filing payment?

You will enter the total amount of both payments as the payment made with extension. You do not need to separate the payment amounts. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies