Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I waive/discount the extension fee if I'm in the military?

I was not able to file on time and I wads told I can file late with an exemption if I am active duty
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you are stationed outside of the US and are not in a combat zone, you needed to file an extension to file that would have given you until October 16, 2023 to file the tax return without a late filing penalty.  Taxes owed still needed to be paid on or before April 18, 2023 to avoid a late payment penalty.

If your 2022 tax return being filed has a tax refund, there are no penalties for filing after the the due date.  You have up to three years to file the tax after the due date of April 18, 2023.

What exemption fee?  Are you asking about fees to use Turbotax, or penalties for late filing from the IRS?

If you are overseas, you have an automatic 2 month extension to file June 15).  To extend the deadline farther (the last deadline is October 15), you must file an extension request electronically before April 18, or on paper before June 15.  Even if you had extensions, October 15 is the final deadline and there are no more extensions.  But if you owe tax and are assessed a penalty, you can request a waiver when you get the bill.  

If you want to waive the TurboTax fees, it’s too late for that as well.  TurboTax Online may be free for some military filers, but the online site is closed (it always closes after the final deadline) and using the desktop program installed on your own Mac or PC requires that you purchase the program to install.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies