You can downgrade using the clear and start over feature. However, you will be required to restart your return. Please keep in mind that our various TurboTax programs handle different tax situations and their associated forms.
In TurboTax Online, you can erase your return and start from scratch as long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered.
- If you haven't already done so, sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take me to my return button.
- On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (see attached Tax Tools)
- Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.
It looks like you are posting from the Self-Employed version. If you have income from self-employment you cannot use the Free Edition to report that self-employment income. But if you got into the wrong version by accident somehow, you can clear and start over in the Free Edition:
To change your version of TurboTax from Deluxe Version to Free Version follow these easy steps.
Important Note: As long as you haven't filed your taxes yet and haven't paid for or registered the edition of TurboTax you initially selected (this includes the selecting to deduct the fee from your return option) you can change your version from TurboTax Deluxe to TurboTax Free.
- First things first - Sign In to your existing TurboTax account at TurboTax.com with your user name & password.
- Click on the blue Take Me To My Return button.
- This is the Welcome Screen.
- On the menu on the left hand side of the screen select Tax Tools, then select Clear & Start Over.
- Click the YES button to continue in order to downgrade from TurboTax Deluxe to TurboTax Free version. Important Note: CONSIDER YOUR UNIQUE TAX SITUATION(S) and the ADVANTAGES of TurboTax Deluxe before you click the "Yes"button. Once you do you will be starting your taxes over from scratch.