Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stjelde

How do I send a 1099 to a vet and a contract laborer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Please explain why you need to send a 1099 to these folks.  Do you have a business of your own for which they performed work?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
stjelde

I was told that I should send a 1099 to all vets and also if I paid a contract laborer. 

I paid a gal to ride a horse.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: How do I create W-2 and 1099 forms for my employees or contractors?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"I was told...."    By whom?    And....again.....do you have some sort of a business that they worked for?  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
stjelde

A friend, and no business. 

I would rather not deal with it, so I am fine not sending one 

We cannot tell what software you are using.   If you have Home and Business or online Premium, you can follow the instructions that were given to you in order to create 1099's.   But if you are not a business owner for whom those people performed work, you do not need to issue 1099's to them.   Reporting the income they received from you is their own responsibility -- they have to report the self-employment income on their own tax returns.   But since you are not running a business, you do not have anything to enter on a Schedule C or any reason to try to deduct vet fees or payment to someone who rode your horse for some reason.

stjelde

Thank you! This is really good information and very informative. I appreciate it and will pass on the knowledge. Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies