Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I see my spouses income separately on a joint return?

I’m looking at our 2021 form and it doesn’t show our income separately, only together.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You would have to look at the actual W2s and 1099s to get that.  A joint return is one return combined for the both of you.  

Turbotax does not offer this service. you would have to go through each line of the 1040 and split the amounts manually.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A joint tax return shows only the combined income for both spouses. There is no way to find your individual incomes in the actual tax return itself, because the information simply isn't there. To find your individual incomes, you have to look at your W-2s or your own records of your separate incomes. You might also have some joint income, such as investment income from a jointly owned account. You will have to decide how to handle that if you are trying to determine your individual incomes.

If you did not save your W-2s, you can download a PDF from TurboTax with all forms and worksheets, not just the forms for filing. It will include a W-2 worksheet for each W-2 that you entered, containing the income information from the W-2.

Another way to get the information is for each of you to get a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS. This will list the information from your W-2s. A Wage and Income Transcript is for one person, so you each have to get one. You need a Wage and Income Transcript, not a Tax Return Transcript. You can get a Wage and Income Transcript at the following link on the IRS web site.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

EDIT: Added link

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies