Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report income from 83(b) for unvested shares that were partially repurchased by the employer in the same tax year?

My partner exercised some options early last year, approximately 50% of which were early exercised. An 83(b) was filed for the unvested shares. Just over 6 months later they were laid off and the company repurchased the remaining unvested shares for the price per share originally paid.

On their stock account the original common share holding is shown as being cancelled and a new shareholding is shown with an issue date around the time the unvested shares were repurchased.

The W2 received doesn’t include the additional income from the 83(b). Does this need to be included somewhere on the return or is it not relevant given that this all occurred in the same tax year and the original holding appears to have been cancelled and reissued?

Also, no 1099-B was received for the shares that were repurchased. Would this be because they never really owned the shares in the first place? Should this be included as a sale anyway?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I report income from 83(b) for unvested shares that were partially repurchased by the employer in the same tax year?

@Mike9241 is this something you are able to help me with?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies