Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sjpark15

How do I report crypto on deluxe version?

I'm trying to finish my taxes and I have the deluxe version. I'm trying to see if I can report crypto without having to upgrade to a premium. I understand that it would be capital gains and would go under property, but I'm not seeing exactly where I can input crypto info. Also if I am putting it as a investment, but don't have the 1099-B or statement (as crypto only gives you CSV file unless you already got 1099-K, which type of investment would it fall under (second home, land, collectible, mutual funds, etc)?

Edit: I'm on the CD installed version, not online

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You can use the CD version of TurboTax Deluxe to report your crypto gains and losses, but there is no special place to enter cryptocurrency transactions in any CD/Download version. Only in the Online version of Premier or Self-Employed is cryptocurrency separated from other Sales of Investments.

You're correct to input your transactions under Investments. If the cryptocurrency was held for investment purposes, you would classify it as "everything else."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is this the same approach we should take when using the desktop version of TurboTax Deluxe 2019?  It's not really clear if that is the right approach for this year or not using that version.  Thanks!

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes for TurboTax Desktop the "Everything Else" option is correct under "Investments".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies