turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bilnan248

How do I remove self employed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

If you don't need all of the features of TurboTax Self Employed, you can downgrade from TurboTax Self Employed to another version of TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid yet (or registered in a free version) - but please bear in mind that you will need to clear any data which you have entered, and start over in the other TurboTax version. This is the only available method to downgrade versions.

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "Can I switch to a lower-priced version of TurboTax Online?":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JohnR1

If you don't need all of the features of TurboTax Self Employed, you can downgrade from TurboTax Self Employed to another version of TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid yet (or registered in a free version) - but please bear in mind that you will need to clear any data which you have entered, and start over in the other TurboTax version. This is the only available method to downgrade versions.

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "Can I switch to a lower-priced version of TurboTax Online?":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

This is a horrible user experience to have to start over completely after going through the entire process of filing taxes just to realize you are using the wrong version or in the wrong mode.
ejfudd

!!!  THIS SUCKS!!!  HORRIBLE USER EXPERIENCE!  MAY BE EASIER TO FIND A DIFFERENT TOOL!
david25

This is actual garbage. The process doesn't even let you see the value derived before charging you and locking you in. Fuck yourself.

This is an unacceptable and completely backwards user experience that proves Intuit does not care about its customers. Compounded by the fact that Intuit actively lobbies to keep the tax code complicated, can we bring back the TurboTax of 5 years ago that was actually useful?

Also, I already paid for the tier below Self Employed. It's telling me that I CANNOT CLEAR my return to start over because of this. So this solution DOES NOT WORK for people who already paid for the tier below Self Employed.
jsmckay9

So stupid.

SONNNNOFFFAAABITCHHHH

you have got to be kidding me

This is a joke! Get to the end only to be conned into using something I don't need. Looks like it's H&R block from now on. Good job losing a long-term customer!

AGREED!!!

This is absolutely the poorest experience I have seen in all my years of using online programs.    I have been a turbotax users for 8 years and there is absolutely no way for me to get rid of the self employeed portion of entering tax info even after I followed the very poor directions of clearing all and starting over as it keeps the self employed.     The is beyond unacceptable from such a reputable company and will lead me to switching my tax filing vendor.      Turbotax I expect much more from you as a vendor.

I paid for self employment turbo tax last year even though I didn't have any self employment listed.  It cost me like $400 and I asked for a refund, and wasn't able to receive it from Turbo Tax.  I am trying to figure out how to downgrade to the basic version for my two W-2s (super simple tax forms).  I cannot find a clear answer about how to downgrade and after 8 years of using Turbo Tax, I'll be moving onto a new product.  This should be much easier because people clearly move between self-employed and working for an employer from year to year.  It seems to be bordering on unlawful misrepresentation. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@davidlorence06 

As long as you haven't already paid with a credit card or had the TurboTax fee taken from your refund, you can clear and start over. Please see the FAQ link provided below for further assistance. If this does not resolve your issue, I would suggest contacting TurboTax Customer Support for further assistance:

How do I switch to a cheaper TurboTax Online product?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies