How do I recreate last year's TurboTax file to import into next year's file?

My HDD crashed. I lost several years of TurboTax unrecoverable files including capital equipment costs and in-service dates. How do I recreate last year's TurboTax file, including depreciation, to import into next year's file?

Yes, you may be able to recreate your prior year tax return to transfer to the current tax year.

First, you will need a copy of your complete return from last year, including all worksheets and schedules. Second, you will need to install the TurboTax software from last year.

Then, work through the step-by-step interview from the beginning, using the information from your previous return. Be sure to save this return to your computer and in another format for safe-keeping.

Without a complete copy of your prior year return, it will be difficult to enter assets for depreciation and some carry-forward amounts. If you do not have a copy, you can request a transcript from the IRS if needed at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript.