Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I override 1040-ES on my return so TurboTax will remember the amount for next year?

It doesn’t work.  There is no scrolling down to Form 1040-ES in section Other Tax Forms.   FIX YOUR SOFTWARE PLEASE
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

How do I override 1040-ES on my return so TurboTax will remember the amount for next year?

No, the section you are looking for is called Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes. 

If you want to pay a specific amount and TurboTax isn't generating that number for you, you can correct the amount you are going to pay on the payment voucher and send in that amount. You do that by crossing off, or covering with correction tape, the printed number and writing in the amount you want to pay. 

As an alternative, you can get blank payment vouchers from the IRS and fill in any amount that you want, or make your payment online. Follow this link to get blank 1040-ES vouchers. The vouchers are on pages 10 and 11. 

If you want to generate your vouchers in the TurboTax program, here's how to do that:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. If you already filed your return, select Add State to get back into your return.
  3. Select Other Tax Situations.
  4. Expand Other Tax Forms and find Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes, click Start or Revisit to the right.
  5. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2024?
  6. Select Review Now on the next screen.
  7. Answer the questions about your 2024 filing status, expected income, and deductions.
  8. On the screen titled, Which Method? Select one of the 2024 options, not the first option.
  9. When you come to the Print Vouchers? screen, answer Yes and the program will include your 2024 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OK I'll bite.  Why does it need to remember the amount next year?  The estimates are optional to pay.  Turbo Tax will never know if or when you paid them.  You need to manually enter the payments you made each year.  You can override the amounts that print out.  Or just cross them out and hand write in a new amount.  Or pay them directly online at the IRS.  

Are you using the Desktop program?  Why can't you scroll down and open the 1040ES?  I do. I tweak mine every year.  Or are you in the Online version?

In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
Select Tax Home in the left menu.
Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
Select 2023, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you back into your return so you can make changes).

Then go here,
Federal Taxes or Personal (Home&Business version)
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Say No to W4. When you get to the W4 and Estimated Taxes section, say you want to adjust your income to go though all the screens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies