kngooslin

How do i import my csv file from my crypto taxes done by koinly that was generated?

KathrynG3

It is best to upload the .csv file to your desktop first. Then, save a new copy to change the columns if necessary to match TurboTax before importing.

The columns should be: 

• Service name (examples: Coinbase)
  • Asset name (examples: Bitcoin, Ethereum)
  • Date of purchase
  • Cost basis
  • Date of sale
  • Sale proceeds

Once you have edited the .CSV file to match this format, return to TurboTax.

Inside TurboTax Online from the search box, enter cryptocurrency. Select the Jump to link in the search results and follow the prompts.

• At Let's get your cryptocurrency info, select any of the tiles and Continue.
    • You must select one of the tiles in order to get to the upload screen. Otherwise, enter each transaction individually.
  • At Let's add your cryptocurrency transactions, drag and drop your CSV file.

For more information, see: How do I report Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency as a capital gain?

However, if you are mining cryptocurrency, then report this as self-employed income. 

prototype777

--------------------------------

What you posted above is fine and dandy if using online "cloud" based TT, however you should have mentioned that the TT CD/Download versions do not have the "Let's get your cryptocurrency info" optionAt least they do not exist on my 2109 and 2020 TT premier CD/Desktop versions so I had to enter everything manually.

Some guidance on the least painful way to do things using the Desktop versions of TT would be helpful.

KathrynG3

Yes, you are correct, the directions are for TurboTax Online which has a dedicated cryptocurrency section. In TurboTax Online, it is common to import a large number of transactions using the .CSV file format.

Yes, there is a way to import in TurboTax CD/Download, as well.

To import using TurboTax CD/Download, .TXF can be used instead. To import a .TXF, follow these steps:

• Go to File in the upper left corner in the black menu ribbon menu.
  • Hover over Import and then select From Accounting Software
  • At Choose a Program To Import From, select Other Financial Software (TXF file) and Continue.

Below are a list of aggregator options if that would be useful for the future:

Using .TXF:

If the details are entered in summary form, then within three days of submitting your tax return, send Form 8453 with your cost basis details from your aggregator service. TurboTax will provide instructions.

​​​​​

@prototype777

tooredhot

I used Koinly but when I use the edit option to look at a transaction (to understand if its taxable - thought that would also have been decided for me) the box that pops up says the service was CryptoTraderTax.  Why is that happening ?