turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i import from american funds into my turbotax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You may import your 1099-B (brokerage statement) because American Funds participates in the TurboTax Partner program.

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type 1099-b.
  • In the results box, highlight 1099-b, then click GO.
  • You'll land on Did you sell any investments in 2016? Click Yes
  • Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales? Click Yes.
  • Choose your bank or brokerage. Begin typing the name American Funds, then select it in the drop-down box. Scroll down and click Continue. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.) 
  • Nice! We can go ahead and import your 1099-B now. (Click the second screenshot below.) Enter the information requested to access your account. For security reasons, you'll need to click the box next to I'm not a robot and follow the instructions. Once there is a green check-mark next to "I'm not a robot", you may scroll down and click Continue to import the 1099-B.

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.

How do I import my 1099?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3389470

jjsbnord

Too bad you can't talk to a real person any more!

Bob E

Step 1:  Search for American Funds on the import page.

Step 2:  Enter your account number and password-NOT!!!

Every year I have the same problem importing my American Funds forms into TurboTax.  The problem is that your American Funds account number is NOT the exact same number you use for TurboTax.  The number you need to use is an actual fund number (which you can find on the 1099-DIV).  This number will have the following format:  XXXXXXXX-XX  However, you have to switch the fund number to the front and enter it in the following format:  XX-XXXXXXXX (include the dash).  If you have more than one fund, any of them will do.  Once you successfully sign in you will see a list of all of your funds and asked which ones you want to import

Addison

THANK YOU SO MUCH ! I have been struggling getting america funds to work with turbotax for years. This just saved me so much time 

bajatrvlr

Bingo... Same problem I had last year as well.

Just battled Turbotax for an hour trying to import from American Funds before finding your (Bob E.'s) post and recalling I fought the same battle last year for hours as well before finding this solution somewhere (possibly your post then as well).  Unreal the directions on American General's website and those in the pop up dialogue box in TT as well, still remain horribly written after at least two years.....   Thank you for posting this.   Can't imagine how many hundreds or thousands it is probably aiding.  

Manage cookies