Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I handle "gain" on original issue CA municipal bonds that I purchased at discount and held to maturity/call at par? Do I adjust the cost up to par value in Ttax?

Previously, I understood that the original purchase discount on muni bonds was treated as nontaxable interest, which required adjusting the cost up to par value when the muni bond matured or was called at par, for tax reporting purposes. Is this still the case or has it changed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CynthiaR

How do I handle "gain" on original issue CA municipal bonds that I purchased at discount and held to maturity/call at par? Do I adjust the cost up to par value in Ttax?

Calculate your adjusted cost basis. This is the original cost of the municipal bond, plus any adjustments, such as capital returns or interest. For example, if you purchased a 10-year municipal bond at $1,000 with a discount of $800 and a 5-percent coupon, your adjusted cost basis will be $800 based on $800, plus any interest accrued. Use the discounted price and interest rate to calculate the interest for the first year, which amounts to $40. In this example, the adjusted cost basis for the first year is $840.

Calculate any capital gains and losses using the Internal Revenue Service Form 1099-INT provided to you by your financial institution when you earn interest on investments. Gains and losses are the difference between the sale price of bonds and your adjusted cost basis.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CynthiaR

Calculate your adjusted cost basis. This is the original cost of the municipal bond, plus any adjustments, such as capital returns or interest. For example, if you purchased a 10-year municipal bond at $1,000 with a discount of $800 and a 5-percent coupon, your adjusted cost basis will be $800 based on $800, plus any interest accrued. Use the discounted price and interest rate to calculate the interest for the first year, which amounts to $40. In this example, the adjusted cost basis for the first year is $840.

Calculate any capital gains and losses using the Internal Revenue Service Form 1099-INT provided to you by your financial institution when you earn interest on investments. Gains and losses are the difference between the sale price of bonds and your adjusted cost basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies