How do I get my computer to start the turbotax dis...

How do I get my computer to start the turbotax disk

Are you installing this on a Windows computer? If so, please read on:

Before installing TurboTax on a PC, it's best to close any open programs, including firewall and virus-protection programs (but don't forget to turn them back on after installation is complete).

Installing from a download: Simply double-click the downloaded file to launch the installer. Find your download.

Installing from the CD: If installation doesn't start automatically after you insert the CD into your computer's CD drive, follow the directions below.

Tip: If you bought the CD but your computer lacks a CD drive, you can request the downloadable version.

1. Hold down the Windows+R keys to open the Run window.
  2. Click Browse, and then navigate to the TurboTax CD on your CD/DVD/RW drive (usually Drive D).
  3. Double-click the setup.exe file to begin the installation.
  4. When you get to the Your product is installed, now let's activate it screen, enter your license code in the License code box, and select Continue to complete installation.
    • It’s a 14-digit combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX) that can be found on your CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip, or in your Download confirmation email and/or order history. Need help finding it? Go here.

That's it! When you're ready to do your state return, we'll walk you through the state download and installation.

Hi! Thanks for the response. I spent over an hour with Turbo Tax help person yesterday and we did all what you suggested to no avail. I purchased Turbo Tax with CD though my new laptop has no drive. I followed those directions and in every instance of arriving at the activation square nothing happened after 20 minutes. When I clicked in the center of the square when a click hand appeared, it took me back to the directions. I give up.
 I’m returning the purchase and will buy online version