turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get free state filing when the return is simple with no extra credits, when I have been disqualified for free federal for a credit that isn't included in state?

I did most of federal (basic W-2 and verify basic info), and proceeded past fall the extra credits to go to the state and see what it was showing. On this first pass, I was at $16 for federal and $7 for state. I got my other docs, re-did federal and my federal return increased to $182 because of a retirement savings credit. I went through everything else, got to state, reviewed all that again, and I'm still at $7 for the state. The credit that I added to the federal had zero impact on the state return. That same credit is what disqualifies me from free federal since federal isn't considered "simple", but that credit is obviously not being used in the state meaning the state return should still be "simple" and therefore free. How do I get the free state filing out of the TurboTax free file campaign?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I get free state filing when the return is simple with no extra credits, when I have been disqualified for free federal for a credit that isn't included in state?

Sorry---it does not work that way.  When you use a paid version for the federal return, you alos use a paid version for the state.  Information flows from the federal return to the state software.

If you do not want to pay for using online TT for your state, try going on the state's tax website to see if you can prepare it there.  You will need information from your federal return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies