Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i get a free desktop version?

I get a free online version of TurboTax though my bank. In past years I've been able to change to a free desktop version before filing but I can't remember the steps I had to go through to get the free code from Intuit. Does anyone have the information  need?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I know it can be done, I’ve done it the last two years. There were non-intuitive steps that had to be done, but I found directions somewhere, followed them and accomplished my mission. Unfortunately I’ve misplaced the instructions.

i figured it out. I found a screenshot of my activation key from last year and went to the web address and was able to get a 2020 activation key for 2020 TurboTax Deluxe for free. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

No we don't.  If you got a free desktop program that would have been an offer from your bank, credit union, broker, fund, etc.  I've never seen any free desktop program offers.  They are usually for $5 to $20 off depending on the version.  I just bought Home & Business from Costco on sale, $15 off.

I know it can be done, I’ve done it the last two years. There were non-intuitive steps that had to be done, but I found directions somewhere, followed them and accomplished my mission. Unfortunately I’ve misplaced the instructions.

i figured it out. I found a screenshot of my activation key from last year and went to the web address and was able to get a 2020 activation key for 2020 TurboTax Deluxe for free. 

@lmarking Maybe you qualify for one of the free online software versions that will become available in mid-January.

If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $39,000 or less, or $72,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Note:  If you do not qualify to use Free File then you will have to upgrade to Deluxe or higher in the paid versions of the software.   

Online Deluxe $40  State software $40

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The only way to switch to a free desktop program is to call in and ask.  Maybe you were in a paid online version so they gave you the Desktop program which they can do.

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Anne_2022
Returning Member

I need to switch from a free online version from my broker to desktop version in order to access the forms function that is not in the online version. Can you share the steps you took to do the switch? How did you get the activation code for the desktop download version? Thank you! 

@Anne_2022 wrote:

I need to switch from a free online version from my broker to desktop version in order to access the forms function that is not in the online version. Can you share the steps you took to do the switch? How did you get the activation code for the desktop download version? Thank you! 

You have to purchase the download edition to install on your personal computer.  Once purchased the License code will be available on the website for downloading the software.

Go to this TurboTax website to purchase one of the 2021 desktop editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Anne_2022
Returning Member

I was asking how to get a free code for the desktop download because I already have a free online premier version, but found out that only the desktop version has form mode. Does anyone know how to get free code if you already qualified for free online version?

The Online version and Desktop program are totally different and priced different.  You have to buy the Desktop program unless your broker has a deal for it.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies