Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I finish filing my taxes that were rejected in 2022?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

At the end of finishing your 2023 Tax Return in Turbo Tax the software will ask you if you need to Amend any tax returns from prior years? If you already completed your 2023 tax return you can just jump straight to that section to amend any prior years. 

@mmcclellan093   Depends on why it rejected.  You can print it out and mail it or you might need to fix something.

You will need to download the .tax2022 file and switch to the Desktop program.

How to finish a return you started online
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2023 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2023.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open the .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

You have to print and mail prior year returns. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. Don’t forget state.

Then when you efile 2023 enter 0 for the 2022 AGI since it wasn't filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies