Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fill out form 5965 I got solar panels installed in 2016 and solar city said I get 30% back and when I put my info in it says I get 0 back this year

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I fill out form 5965 I got solar panels installed in 2016 and solar city said I get 30% back and when I put my info in it says I get 0 back this year

First, make sure you've entered the cost of the solar panels in the Home Energy Credits section.  Enter it on the screen titled "Enter any additional energy-efficient improvements" on the line "solar electric costs."  This credit is limited to your income tax liability, so if you don't owe any income taxes because your exemptions, standard or itemized deductions plus some other credits take your income tax liability to zero, you won't get a benefit from this credit.  On a positive note, however, the solar panel credit carries forward and can be used to offset income tax liability in future years.

Turbo tax for the amount of income and tax due that I have entered so far assures me I will get the entire amount of my withheld tax due me for 1918, I understand that if I am due more it will be credited to me on my next year 2019 tax liability. I have many more deductions for medical and taxes and interest  not enter yet. If I do, will the greater amount of credit due me for my 27,900 paid for the solar be fully credited. If not, then is there any need to enter the medical and taxes and interest deductions?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies