Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file or do I have to file my daughter's w-2 from mcdonalds? She made $5200 in 2022. I don't see it anywhere on the software it doesn't ask if my kids worked.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

How do I file or do I have to file my daughter's w-2 from mcdonalds? She made $5200 in 2022. I don't see it anywhere on the software it doesn't ask if my kids worked.

Your daughter does not need to file a return. Her income is under the amount where a return is required. But, she can file a return and have all of the federal withholding in Box 2 of her W-2 refunded to her. She will need to file as a dependent and not claim herself.

Please see this TurboTax Help article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi thanks for the response. Yeah that's what I was thinking she didn't need to but she did pay in some money she can get back but I don't see how to enter her income in my return. That's why I was thinking she had to file her own return. Bit I claim her as a dependent this year so I don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim her as a dependent for this year. She will need to file her own return and not claim herself. If she files she will get a refund of the federal taxes withheld, but she does not have to file based on the amount of income she earned.

Okay thabk you. So she had $87 withheld but does turbo tax have free file in her situation? Thanks. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, your daughter can file for free if all she has is W-2 income.

Yes thats what i was thinking. Thanks so much. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies