turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i file jointly with my spouse who does not have social security number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NiaW

How do i file jointly with my spouse who does not have social security number?

There are two options. You can file, married filing jointly (MFJ), or married filing separately. The IRS requires married couples, whether together or separated, that are filing as married filing separately to provide their spouse's social security number because they want to compare the two returns. If your spouse is a nonresident alien, she must have either an SSN or an ITIN if:

1.  You file a joint return,

2.  You file a separate return and claim an exemption for your spouse, or

3.  Your spouse is filing a separate return.

If you choose to file a joint return, you will need to fill out a W7 Form and print and mail your returns in to the IRS in order to file it. Use the Turbo Tax software to complete your returns but choose the option to print and mail rather than e-file. To apply for an ITIN, complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

If your spouse does not have a Social Security number or an ITIN and you are not planning on applying for an ITIN, you will have to file as Married Filing Separately.  You can only print and mail your tax return, it cannot be e-filed.  After printing your tax return, you will have to erase or white-out the erroneous Social Security number entered for the spouse on Form 1040.  In the box for the spouse's SS number write in NRA (non-resident alien).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies