Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i file form 982 with form 1040-x?

I revived form 1099-c after I had already filed for 2014. I was to file it along with form 982. now I need to file form 1040-x but I do not see any where to add form 982. So with just forms 1040, 1099-c and 982 it shows I do not have to pay. but form 1040-x it shows I do. So what is the right way to file so i do not have to pay?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do i file form 982 with form 1040-x?

Form 982 (Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness) reports the amount of cancelled debt to excluded from taxable income.

We'll automatically generate Form 982 if your cancelled debt is for a qualified principal residence indebtedness, aka mortgage debt relief.

Search for 982 in your TurboTax program and then click the "Jump to" link to access the cancellation of debt section. You should have a 1099-C to report the amount of cancelled debt. (You'll need to use TurboTax Deluxe or higher to file Form 982.)

If your canceled debt isn’t directly related to the purchase of a main home, the IRS has strict guidelines for determining how to report it. There are several options specific to each taxpayer’s situation. To determine which apply to you, we recommend you consult a tax professional or see IRS Publication 4681 or Publication 544.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies