Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file for an extension in TurboTax when I have printed both federal and state returns for filing by mail?

Can I file for an extention after I have printed both federal and state returns for filing by mail?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I file for an extension in TurboTax when I have printed both federal and state returns for filing by mail?

Yes, you can still file for an extension - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes if you don't mail the returns.

You might need to select "Add a state" to get back into the account if you decide to e-file or change anything on the original returns. 

You can print and mail Form 4868 to file for extension or use this link to file it online.

Remember that this allows you until October 15th to file your return and you will not get a late filing penalty, HOWEVER, if you owe tax, you’ll still be charged interest and a late payment penalty. So if you’ll owe, get a payment in with the extension. 

For Desktop Users, type  extend   and click the “jump to” link for filing for extension.

Be sure to print and mail that Form by the original due date (April 15th 2024 for most of us) 

It is possible to e-file the extension with an online account and then finish and file using Desktop. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies