Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file 2 dependants with a different address than mine

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

If the (2) dependents do not need to file their own tax returns (that is, separate tax returns from yours), then their physical addresses do not matter for tax filing purposes.  In other words, if they qualify as your dependents, then they can have separate mailing or living addresses, that are different from your own, and you do not have to indicate or disclose that in any way on your own tax return.  The fact that they are your dependents is enough to report.  You do, however, require each of their full names, dates of birth, and Social Security Numbers, and that information is relevant to the tax return.

Now then, if your (2) dependents need to file their own tax returns, then you (or they) will need to create a brand new TurboTax online account for each one of them.  The way the online TurboTax software works is that it can be used only to prepare a single tax return, per account, per year.

That said, the single tax return in the prior paragraph can mean a Married Filing Jointly couple, with several dependent children (or other dependent persons).  It can also mean just one single person with no dependents.

The primary taxpayer's Social Security Number is the key to keeping each return "separate."  Addresses only matter for the primary taxpayer; not for dependents (unless they file their own tax returns, as explained, in which case they become the primary taxpayer for that return).

Finally, just to clarify a point, a dependent can indeed file their own tax return; it's just that they have to disclose that fact on their own tax return, in which instance they do not get to enjoy the tax benefit of having their own personal exemption.

We hope this answer provides you with enough information to proceed with your tax return(s).  Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
GeoffreyG

If the (2) dependents do not need to file their own tax returns (that is, separate tax returns from yours), then their physical addresses do not matter for tax filing purposes.  In other words, if they qualify as your dependents, then they can have separate mailing or living addresses, that are different from your own, and you do not have to indicate or disclose that in any way on your own tax return.  The fact that they are your dependents is enough to report.  You do, however, require each of their full names, dates of birth, and Social Security Numbers, and that information is relevant to the tax return.

Now then, if your (2) dependents need to file their own tax returns, then you (or they) will need to create a brand new TurboTax online account for each one of them.  The way the online TurboTax software works is that it can be used only to prepare a single tax return, per account, per year.

That said, the single tax return in the prior paragraph can mean a Married Filing Jointly couple, with several dependent children (or other dependent persons).  It can also mean just one single person with no dependents.

The primary taxpayer's Social Security Number is the key to keeping each return "separate."  Addresses only matter for the primary taxpayer; not for dependents (unless they file their own tax returns, as explained, in which case they become the primary taxpayer for that return).

Finally, just to clarify a point, a dependent can indeed file their own tax return; it's just that they have to disclose that fact on their own tax return, in which instance they do not get to enjoy the tax benefit of having their own personal exemption.

We hope this answer provides you with enough information to proceed with your tax return(s).  Thank you for asking this question.

Elaine508

Can you please clarify: I am a single parent eligible to claim my 16 year old as a dependent. My child has a part-time job and will file their own tax return. Is it a problem if my teenager indicates on their W-2 that they live at my ex's address (where they live just less-than half-time)? Is it a problem if my teenager indicates on their taxes that they live at my ex's address?

No.  Their Address doesn't matter.  

PattiF
Expert Alumni

As long as your teenager lived with you for more than half the year, you are able to claim them. If the IRS were to ask about the residency of the teenager, you should be prepared to show proof that they were with you for more than half the year.  Make sure that the teenager files their return as a dependent and not claiming themselves.

Here are the qualifications to claim a child

Qualifying child

• They're related to you
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students)
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply)
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year

@Elaine508 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Elaine508

Thanks for the AMAZINGLY quick and clear replies to you and @VolvoGirl both!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies