Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bumbacat
Returning Member

How do I enter as a deduction Per Diem that is included in income on my 1099?

I understand that per diem is not taxable (when under Federal guideline amounts).  But the 1099 that I received has that amount included as income.  On my tax return, how do I label it?  It cannot be meals, since that the amount entered under meals would be reduced to 50%.  Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-regs/perdiemfaq%26a.prn.pdf

You might want to see if you can get a corrected 1099 from the issuer (assuming you followed the correct procedure).

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

There is a per diem rate for combined lodging and meal costs, and a per diem rate for meal costs alone. An employer may use either per diem method for reimbursing employee travel expenses. A self-employed person can only use per diem for the meal costs associated with expenses incurred for travel away from home.  For income reported to you on Form 1099-NEC, you are self-employed.  The amount of income you report on Schedule C is the total amount of non-employee compensation reported on Form 1099-NEC, which includes the per diem.  You then report your expenses on Schedule C.  For meal expenses incurred for travel away from home you can use the per diem rate, or your actual expenses.  For all other expenses such as mileage and lodging, you report the actual expense.  If you use the per diem rate for meals, you report it as a meal expense.  

The standard meal allowance is the federal M&IE rate. For travel from January 1–September 30, 2021, the rate for most small localities in the United States is $59 per day, and $64 per day for travel on or after October 1, 2022.  Most major cities and many other localities in the United States are designated as high-cost areas, qualifying for higher standard meal allowances.  You can find this information (organized by state) at GSA.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates

For more information on a temporary 100% deduction for food or beverages provided by a restaurant paid or incurred after December 31, 2020, and before January 1, 2023, refer to Notice 2021-25PDF. For more information on a special rule that allows the temporary 100% deduction for the full meal portion of a per diem rate or allowance, refer to Notice 2021-63

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies