Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SMF
Level 2

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

In a response to the question "How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?", on 13-Jan-23 it was stated that "you'll have to wait until that (Federal) return has been accepted before you can e-file your state."  My Federal return was accepted early this morning (07-Mar-23), but I still cannot efile my NY state return.  Any suggestions?  SMF (desktop MAC version)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Coastchik

I bought the software that included filing for state taxes.  Then, I let TurboTax walk me through the process and it was a snap. I didn't do anything extra other than follow the flow and answered each question.

Hope this helps.  

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Are you receiving an error message when trying to Efile your state?  In the File section, you will need to indicate you don't want to file your Federal return, and indicate you want to file your state to file your state separately. 

Here's more info on Filing Federal and State Returns Separately.

@SMF 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SMF
Level 2

NY requires returns to be emailed.  My desktop TurboTax acknowledges that my federal return has already been filed and encourages efiling the state return.  However when I select only the NY state return for efiling, I get a message that my federal and state must be filed together.  I had seen the linked message that you provided in support, which indicates that I can email the state return after the emailed federal return has been accepted.  I meet this criteria, but TurboTax does not comply?  SMF

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

You can e-file your state return separate from your federal return by following these steps in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. On the Your 2022 federal return was accepted! page, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2022
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return)
    • Note: If you've already started your state return, you can select Continue your return in the state tax return box
  4. Select State from the left menu
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions

If you are still having issues after following these steps, respond back to this thread.

@SMF 

SMF
Level 2

Thank you for your suggestions, but I am using TurboTax DeskTop and not TurboTax OnLine.  However I tried to follow your suggested path, but I was still unsuccessful in e filing the State return.  As a note, I initially tried to efile the Federal and State returns together, but continually ran into transmission errors.  As a last option I tried efiling just the Federal return, and that surprisingly worked.  However, I still have not had any luck with the State return.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

First, be sure that your Federal return has been accepted by the IRS before you try to electronically file your state return.

Then, go to the State Taxes tab at the top of your screen and proceed through the state return until you go through the final error check to be sure the state is ready to go.  Then, just keep moving forward through the process until you get to the point where it is asking about filing your returns.  

You will probably see messaging on the screen telling you that your Federal return has been filed.  Then you can choose to file your state return.  

@SMF 

SMF
Level 2

AnnetteB6, Thank you for your comments.  Please see my response to BrittanyS on Wednesday 15-March-2023.

SMF
Level 2

CoastChick, Thank you for your comments.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies