When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee. Each return needs its own account and user ID. If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.
When you use Desktop TurboTax, which you install from a CD or download to your own hard drive, you can prepare and e-file multiple returns for the cost of the software. You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns—more if you mail the additional ones. If you have multiple returns to prepare for family members, Desktop is more cost effective.
Every return must have it's own userID and password ... you cannot use the same account for 2 people.
- Sign out of TurboTax Online.
- Select the TurboTax Online product you want to use for the second return and proceed.
- On the Create your account screen, set up a new login for the second return.
- You can reuse your email address if you want to receive e-file notifications for the second return.
- Up to 5 accounts can be tied to the same email address.
- After you've created the new account, you can start working on the second return.