Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i delete 2 kids from my tax return. I had them filed but got rejected. Found out later that dad had claimed them. Even tho they hv lived with me there life.

How do i go back to take them off my return so i can file?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do i delete 2 kids from my tax return. I had them filed but got rejected. Found out later that dad had claimed them. Even tho they hv lived with me there life.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2023 online tax return.

You can delete the dependents in the My Info section of the online program.

Don't remove your dependents, their other parent did not legally claim them if they lived with you the whole year.  Just because the other parent got there first doesn't mean they won't process your return with the kids on it. They will send a letter to the other parent and one to you requesting information about where the children lived. What address was on their school records and medical records? Was it yours? If so that's  the information  the IRS wants to prove they lived with you.  The other parent can't provide that evidence so the refund they received will be reversed by the IRS and you will receive your refund. It takes a long time for the IRS to do these reviews, but that's what you should do if the children lived with you.  You need to mail in the return with the children on it. Send a cover letter stating the children were claimed in error and that they live with you, nothing fancy, just so they know up front that there's a problem.  Send it certified mail so you can prove the IRS received it if necessary.  If this has happened in the past you should amend prior years to include the children as dependents.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies