Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I convert files from Mac to Win?

I filed using a Mac TurboTax for at least 8 years. I want to be able to try Windows next year as I'm getting a new laptop.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

The TurboTax tax data files which have a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year can be opened by any of the TurboTax personal desktop editions for the tax year of the data file, Windows or Mac.

To transfer the 2022 TurboTax data to a new 2023 tax return using the TurboTax 2023 desktop editions you will need to copy the 2022 tax data file from the Mac to the Windows computer.  The 2022 tax data file will have a file extension of .tax2022 and will be in the TurboTax folder of the Documents directory.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Both the Windows and Mac versions use the same .tax2022 data file.  Just copy the .tax file to the other computer.  If you use the Desktop program you will have to buy the right one.  The CD has both Windows and Mac programs on it.

DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

The TurboTax tax data files which have a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year can be opened by any of the TurboTax personal desktop editions for the tax year of the data file, Windows or Mac.

To transfer the 2022 TurboTax data to a new 2023 tax return using the TurboTax 2023 desktop editions you will need to copy the 2022 tax data file from the Mac to the Windows computer.  The 2022 tax data file will have a file extension of .tax2022 and will be in the TurboTax folder of the Documents directory.

Thank you. What model Volvo?

I have the CD, but installed on both machines from download with same registration #.

It said if you use download don't use CD.

So it sound like I just copy the .tax2022 data file over to WIN and open it, Voila.

Thanks again!

Did you get both the downloads in your account?  Mac and Windows have different downloads and you usually only can get one.  

Oh and After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies