turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I check the status of my innocent spouse claim?

Not injured spouse but innocent spouse It’s been three weeks and it says no record and also says I don’t owe money 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You may have to call the IRS for a progress report if it has not made its way into the system. Innocent spouse claims take a long time to be processed.  From the IRS' FAQ on Innocent Spouse Relief (I have included a link to the FAQ below),

"When a Form 8857, Request for Innocent Spouse Relief, is filed with the IRS, it may take up to 6 months before a determination is made. During the processing time, the Service is requesting your tax information and contacting the non-requesting spouse. By law, the IRS must contact your spouse or former spouse. There are no exceptions, even for victims of spousal abuse or domestic violence."  (emphasis added)

IRS Innocent Spouse FAQ

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You may have to call the IRS for a progress report if it has not made its way into the system. Innocent spouse claims take a long time to be processed.  From the IRS' FAQ on Innocent Spouse Relief (I have included a link to the FAQ below),

"When a Form 8857, Request for Innocent Spouse Relief, is filed with the IRS, it may take up to 6 months before a determination is made. During the processing time, the Service is requesting your tax information and contacting the non-requesting spouse. By law, the IRS must contact your spouse or former spouse. There are no exceptions, even for victims of spousal abuse or domestic violence."  (emphasis added)

IRS Innocent Spouse FAQ

Ate innocent spouse claim relief statuses available on where’s my refund? Also how long after granted relief do you generally receive money. Final determination was made 6 weeks ago  

It’s been one year since I filed my claim and they tell me it could take up to two more years to receive my check. That’s ridiculous since they’d take my unborn bs y if I owed the irs. At least the irs has to pay interest just as you or o would. They say they’re short staffed yet if they’d hire people the interest they are going to pay people wouldn’t be as much Makes no sense I do t buy it They need a way to track the claim checks other than calling and talking to someone because they get rude after the first phone call 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies