Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I change where my return gets deposited?

1 Reply
Level 15

How do I change where my return gets deposited?

Once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your bank account for direct deposit.

If the info you provided is for a closed or invalid account, the government will just mail you a refund check.

Now, if your recently-filed return is in pending status, wait until it's either accepted or rejected.

·         If rejected, simply open your return in TurboTax and go through the File section again to update your bank account before re-submitting your return (don't forget to also take care of whatever problem caused the rejection).

·         If accepted, you'll get your refund check in the mail.

If you have not already filed your tax return, follow these steps to change your bank information:

To edit your bank account for direct deposit of your refund in TurboTax Online before you E-file:

  • Sign In to TurboTax Online
  • Select "Take me to my return"
  • Select "Pick up where I left off"
  • Select the "File" tab (right of the screen)
  • Select "Revisit" next to "Your refund info"
  • Select "In my bank"
  • Edit on the "Let's get your bank account info" screen
  • Press "Continue" (bottom right corner)

To edit your bank account for direct deposit of your refund in TurboTax Desktop before you E-file:

  • Open TurboTax Desktop
  • Select the "File" tab (right of the screen)
  • Continue to answer the interview questions to e-file your return until the "How do you want your $$$$ federal refund?" screen
  • Select "Direct Deposit to bank account"
  • Enter "Direct Deposit Information"
  • Press "Continue" (bottom right corner)

If you transferred in information from your 2015 tax return, you may be shown the same bank information that was used last year to have your refund direct deposited. Here’s a Workaround:

NOTE: If you have already filed and your tax return shows Pending, you will need to wait until the IRS either Accepts or Rejects the tax return. If your return is Rejected, then you will be able to change the information, just follow the steps above.

If the IRS is unable to deposit your refund in your account, they will mail you a refund check.

 Here is a great FAQ that explains this further:

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies