jefees

How do I change the name of my dependent? My child had a legal name change (first and middle only). Nothing else changed, but how do I update this on my taxes ?

macuser_22

In the personal information dependent section.  Enter the name exactally as it appears on the child's Social Security card.  That is what the IRS matched against.  (Only the last name matters).

macuser_22

KellyP954

Mine rejected because they have my daughters old last name in their files. Her SSN matches what I input. So do I enter her old last name or how do I proceed?

SForrestLO

If you have not filed yet you can go back and edit the name. Follow the directions below to return to the Personal Information section of your return to view your child's information.

Log in and click Tax Home.
Click the My Info tab from the left side of the screen.
On the next screen, scroll down to view your child's name.