turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i change from self employed to unemployed?

In 2015 I was self employed. I am now unemployed. How,do I change this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaA

In the Personal Info section of your return, you can enter "unemployed" under Occupation. If you received "unemployment compensation", enter that in the income section. You may be able to use Clear & Start Over to change your TurboTax product, if you were automatically put into the Self-Employed product but don't have any income from self-employment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LisaA

In the Personal Info section of your return, you can enter "unemployed" under Occupation. If you received "unemployment compensation", enter that in the income section. You may be able to use Clear & Start Over to change your TurboTax product, if you were automatically put into the Self-Employed product but don't have any income from self-employment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

clarkjf3

Turbo tax will not allow me to change from self-employed even when I clear to start over. I am automatically put in last year's category.

Ebony A
Intuit Alumni

After you use the clear and start over feature, try clearing  your browser's cache and deleting cookies and then attempt to file using the most suitable product for your current tax situation. If your issue persists, reply here and we will further assist @clarkjf3.

I am about finished entering my information and just noticed I was automatically entered as self-employed. I am unemployed. Will it matter if I just leave it as it is? I really don't want to start entering everything all over again.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can leave it the way it is even though you have no self-employment income this year, but you will be charged for the more expensive product. Your return won't be incorrect, so that is not a problem.

If you want to return to the free version, you may need to review or re-enter some of your information. Here is how to do that:

1. Click on Tax Tools near the bottom of the left side menu.
  2. All the way at the bottom, select Switch to Free Edition.
  3. The next screen explains the program will keep most of your information, but you may need to re-enter some of it. 
  4. Once you confirm that is what you want to do, you will be taken back to the beginning of the return and you will need to review and possibly re-enter some of your information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies