turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgaheme

How do I change from 1095-A to 1095-C on my file. It has been registered but not transmitted. I inadvertantly marked yes instead of no for the 1095-A

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

How do I change from 1095-A to 1095-C on my file. It has been registered but not transmitted. I inadvertantly marked yes instead of no for the 1095-A

You can change your 1095-A to a 1095-C by following these instructions in TurboTax:

You will have to remove the 1095-A first:

1. While in your Tax Home,
  2. Select Search in the top right of your screen,
  3. Enter 1095-A
  4. Select Jump to 1095-A,
  5. When you see the Here's what we have for your 1095-A's  screen, select Delete.

To add the 1095-C to your return, follow these steps:

1. While in your Tax Home,
  2. Select Search in the top right of your screen,
  3. Enter 1095-C,
  4. Select Jump to 1095-C,
  5. Follow the on-screen prompts to finish up this section.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This didn't work. I clicked search and it just brought me to this form.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

You are correct, you do not need to file a Form 1095-C with your federal return. Please check in the interview section but also make sure there are not any partially completed forms hung in the return. In TurboTax Online:

1. In the Federal section of your return,
  2. Go to Deductions and Credits, at the top
  3. Scroll down to Medical and click on Show All
  4. Select Revisit for Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)

When our interview section Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) for the Marketplace insurance reaches the screen Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? it will default to "Yes"If you select "No" and Continue, it will not generate any Form 8962 information into your return. If you come back, it will default to "Yes" again, but it remained the "No" you selected until the time you came back into the area. This is as it should be.

To be sure there is not a partially completed form in TurboTax, please check here to delete the form from your return.  You will want to make sure there is not a Form 1095-A or a Form 8962.

• To Delete a Form go black menu bar on the left
  • Click on Tax Tools
  • Click on Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a Form
  • Scroll down and check for 1095-A or 8962 and if there is one, click on Delete
  • Click on the blue Delete Selected Form
  • At the bottom Continue
  • At the bottom Continue with my Return

This should remove all traces of the form and allow you to file without that error.

dperea57

I keep selecting "No" to the question, but it still thinks I need to file a 1095-A.  I think there is a bug in the program because it assumes everyone has to file a 1095-A.  And none of the forms show up in my list of forms or the printed return doesn't show anything about Health Insurance including form 1095-A.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Please see this Help Article.   It contains a workaround you can use to file your return if the 1095-A question is stuck on YES when it should be NO.   Before you use the workaround, make sure you (or anyone else listed on your tax return) do not have a 1095-A at any state or federal marketplace.   If you do have a tax form out there and you submit your return without it, it will go to the manual process line and take much longer to process even if you do e-file.  @dperea57 

dperea57

This is what I get when I delete all health forms and select "No" 1095-A.

Make sure to enter your 1095-A before you file.
If you have an Affordable Care Act insurance plan and don’t enter your 1095-A, the IRS will reject your tax retum.
Once you have your form, you'll need to come back here so we can help you enter it To get back to this section, search "1095-A" using the search icon.
If you didn't have insurance under the Affordable Care Act, you can disregard this.

dperea57

I tried to do what you suggested, but I keep getting my return back with the same error.  I'm just going to mail it.  There is a problem with the software that needs to be corrected ASAP.  My hardcopy doesn't have any area that has Medical Information or insurance questions because I'm taking the Standard Deductions.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

It could be worth one last try to e-file.

There are a couple of reasons why this can happen.  Please try these workarounds.  The first will clear the form.  From time to time it will come back.  Then use the second alternative.

1. On the menu bar on the left that shows.
    1. My Info
    2. Federal
    3. State
    4. Review
    5. File
  2. Select Tax Tools
  3. On the drop-down select Tools
  4. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  5. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  6. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  7. Select the Form
  8. Click on Delete.

Always use extreme caution when deleting your tax return.  

There could be unintended consequences.

The IRS is rejecting returns because they believe you or someone on your return had insurance through the marketplace. If you did have insurance through the marketplace in 2020, you may still just be on their list.

The workaround is to enter $1 for the 1095-A.  This will not affect anything on your return but having the form there may get the IRS to accept your return.  

To do this take the following steps: 

• Click Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More
  • Click Start or Revisit next to the ACA
  • As you walk through the questions, you will be asked if you received a 1095-A.  
    • Even if you did NOT, click YES anyway.
  • Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and Policy number.
  • Enter $1 for January monthly premium amount and SLCSP
  • Walk through to the end and submit your return. 
dperea57

The workaround worked for me.  Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies