Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I calculate the taxes I owe on a fellowship that I started receiving in September?

This fellowship replaces the one I received January - August of 2015 that already had taxes taken out. I know I need to pay individual estimated taxes on the new fellowship because it is not used toward tuition, supplies, etc.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I calculate the taxes I owe on a fellowship that I started receiving in September?

Taxable scholarship and fellowship amounts are the parts used for:
    • Payments for teaching, research, or other services performed.
    • Incidental expenses; room & board, optional equipment, & travel.

In TurboTax, enter your scholarship under Federal Taxes – Deductions & Credits (click I'll choose what I work on), Your Deductions & Credits, the Expenses and Scholarships topic (Form 1098-T) under the Education group.

The taxable portion of scholarships (or fellowship grants) should be reported on line 7 of Form 1040 (Wages, salaries, tips, etc.) with the notation "SCH." and the taxable amount of the scholarship.

Also, see this link for additional information and Worksheet 1-1.Taxable Scholarship and Fellowship Grant Income to figure out the taxes that you owe on your Fellowship Grant.  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch01.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies