Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I bypass the stimulus section? My parent claimed me last year but became disabled

I have attempted entering yes
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How do I bypass the stimulus section? My parent claimed me last year but became disabled

You shouldn't bypass the stimulus payment section in TurboTax. The questions there are designed to provide you with a stimulus payment if you qualify for it. Your stimulus payment is based on what you enter on your tax return for 2020 only, what was entered on your 2019 tax return has no affect on it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dawnhope

I am having the same issue.  Need to bypass the stimulus checks.  My friends claimed their son in 2019 and are not claiming him in 2020.  He is not entitled to the stimulus checks

If you are not a dependent in 2020 and met other requirements for receiving the stimulus payments, you should be eligible to claim the payment with your tax return. 

You can find more  information here:

Economic Impact Payment Information Center

@dawnhope   Yes he can get it.  If you were claimed as a dependent in 2019 but not in 2020,  you can still get the Recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return even if your parents got it for you.  And actually if you were over 17 in 2019 they did not get it by claiming you as a dependent.  They only got it for dependents under 17.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies