Have you reported in TurboTax the amount you paid with your extension so that you get credit for it? If you haven't, we can tell you how.
if you used TurboTax to file the extension, the extension payment
might be prepopulated,
but you should check anyway with the steps below. If not, then you'll need to enter the
extension payment so you get credit for it. Here's how to check to see
if it is showing up, and if not, how to enter it:
- Open your return ("take me to my return.")
- Once the return is open, then in the left menu column choose the Federal Taxes tab.
- Then at the top click on subtab "Deductions & Credits."
- On a page that says "Your Tax Breaks" scroll down and choose "All tax breaks."
- Scroll down to topic "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid." (if necessary, expand that topic to see the subtopics.)
- Find subtopic "Income Taxes Paid", and click START or Revisit.
- On the "Income Taxes Paid" screen choose the type of extension payment you made and click START (or Revisit). Be sure you choose the correct year.
- Continue the rest of that section.
Once you have entered the extension payment (or confirmed it if
it's prepopulated), then before filing look at your return and verify that you are getting
credit for it.