turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I answer "How would like to pay your federal taxes?" if I have already paid my federal taxes when filing my extension.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I answer "How would like to pay your federal taxes?" if I have already paid my federal taxes when filing my extension.

Are you getting ready to file your competed return now?   Is your return still showing an amount due?   Do you have additional Federal tax due over and above your extension payment?

Have you reported in TurboTax the amount you paid with your extension so that you get credit for it?  If you haven't, we can tell you how.   

I have not reported in TurboTax the amount I paid. Please tell me how to report?

Found it. Thank you.

You're welcome.  The steps are below anyway.  It might help someone else.  And you might find some additional info in my answer as well.

if you used TurboTax to file the extension, the extension payment might be prepopulated, but you should check anyway with the steps below.  If not, then you'll need to enter the extension payment so you get credit for it.   Here's how to check to see if it is showing up, and if not, how to enter it:

• Open your return ("take me to my return.")
  • Once the return is open, then in the left menu column choose the Federal Taxes tab.
  • Then at the top click on subtab "Deductions & Credits."
  • On a page that says "Your Tax Breaks" scroll down and choose "All tax breaks."
  • Scroll down to topic "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."  (if necessary, expand that topic to see the subtopics.)
  • Find subtopic "Income Taxes Paid", and click START or Revisit.
  • On the "Income Taxes Paid" screen choose the type of extension payment you made and click START (or Revisit).  Be sure you choose the correct year.
  • Continue the rest of that section.

Once you have entered the extension payment (or confirmed it if it's prepopulated), then before filing look at your return and verify that you are getting credit for it.    

A state extension payment is entered in the same navigation steps as above.   After entering as above, then click on the State Taxes tab and step through the state return to ensure it transfers over to the state return.  Verify that it appears on the state return prior to filing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies