Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

etone85

How do i amend my filing status to head of household? there is not an option to change from single to head of house hold

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do i amend my filing status to head of household? there is not an option to change from single to head of house hold

To be eligible for head of household you must have a qualifying person as a dependent and you must provide over one-half the cost to maintain your home.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for Head of Household - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-filing-status/qualify-head-household...

Head of household does not mean the boss of the house, or the main breadwinner.  It is a specific filing status for single parents (and a few other rare circumstances).  To qualify,

1. you must be single or separated from your spouse, 

2. you must pay more than half the cost of maintaining your home, and

3. you must provide care in your home for at least one qualifying person.  A qualifying person is usually your child dependent who lives in your home at least half the year, but can include some other situations like a parent or other closely related person (like a niece or nephew) who you claim as a dependent and who lived in your home. 

If you think you have a qualifying person but Turbotax doesn't give you the HOH option you may have answered one of the qualification questions incorrectly.  Go back and review your personal information and your dependents. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies